It all started with me buying yarn to cope with grocery shopping. It was a big stressful trip and the yarn made it much easier to get through. I swear.
It was chunky, and a deep purple, with flecks of just the right bits of white and brown. Such a comforting deep plum purple. I’ll share what I made with that (which I went and bought more of to make a whole set!) when I complete the final touches.
Anyway. I decided to make myself a hat, mitt, scarf set. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a set I like. I got to designing them as I went along and was so happy with the hat and how quickly it worked up, that I decided to make new hats for the girls.
If only the lighting in my house was better. This one is purple with a tinsel purple running through to give it some sparkle. A pink pompom for the top as requested. Next up was the youngest one’s hat. I strung some regular pink yarn along with some chunky white. I’m pretty sure the pompom is dark pink, but it may actually be red.
Then I got to the oldest’s hat. She, of course, had picked out a black pompom. I used a tweed I had on hand and was working along quite nicely, when I suddenly noticed I had mis-crossed in two places. I have always marveled at those who can rip back a cable section and get it all back together. I have never been able to wrap my brain around it. I can handle ripping down a lot of other things, but not cabling. That is, until this hat. Thankfully it was only one row down, and with the purl stitches crossing, it made it really easy to see. Crisis averted, hat saved, and she seems pretty happy with it (even if it doesn’t look like it).
Two days and four hats! (I made one for my husband as well). It was a nice bit of accomplishment right before my nutty Christmas gift dash. I’m working hard at them all, but am totally fine with sending a few gifts off in January. I find enjoyment in ways many don’t understand.